13 days in Mongolia :
Starting from 950€ per person
Although not a common mean of transport in Mongolia, cycling is nevertheless a great way to travel through the country’s vast open spaces. Discreetly and in a way friendly to the environment, you will cover large distances, at your own pace, while fully enjoying the natural beauty of the landscapes that surrounds you.
Following the itinerary traced for you on a map, you will cycle through the most interesting natural and cultural sites of the Khangai region. Your bike will no doubt spark the curiosity of the nomads you will encounter on your path and become a great opportunity to make contact with them and discover remoted regions of Mongolia.
Difficulty: 4/5, long distances on mountain bikes, tracks and paths with some elevation gains.
Your detailed itinerary in Mongolia
Day 1 / Arrival in Ulaanbaatar
- Arrival to the airport where your interpreter welcomes you and transfer to your hotel.
- Visit of the city, of the Gandan Monastery, followed by a visit of the National History Museum.
- Early evening entertainment with an introduction to Mongolian traditional singing and dancing.
- Diner in a Mongolian restaurant.
Day 2 / Ulaanbaatar – Olziit (Arkhangai)
- Drive to the Arkhangai Region, the start of your mountain bike tour.
- Drive through the Bulgan region and first Mongolian sceneries: vast steppes, flocks roaming the landscape, isolated yurts and horsemen watching over their stocks.
- Arrival to the village of Olziit late in the afternoon and setting up of the camp for the night near Olziit.
Day 3 / Olziit – Batsengel Village
- First day of your mountain bike tour.
- The itinerary takes you approximately 20km south, along the Orkhon River.
- Before to go west for a further 40km on an isolated road offering few ascents and descents.
- Overnight in bivouac near Battsengel, near the Tamir River
Day 4 / Batsengel Village – Valley of Ikh Tamir
- Today’s itinerary follows the Tamir River through the Valley of Ikh Tamir, in the heart of the Arkhangai Region.
- You pass near the exceptional archaeological site of Tsatsiin Ereg.
- The bike will give you time to discover these sites and their fascinating history.
Day 5 / Tsetserleg – Tsenkher Thermal Springs
- Today’s route starts on tracks then paths before to arrive in the afternoon to Tsenkher Thermal Springs.
- Take a bath in the springs to relax from your 4 days cycling.
- The sulfurous waters spring up at 86.5 °C and are renowned for their medicinal properties.
Day 6 & 7 / Crossing the Khangai Mountain Range
- 2 days cycling north south across the beautiful Khangai Mountain Range and its many dales.
- Cycle following small tracks in the steppes, along the Shirde River to its source.
- The landscape turns into a wooded mountains scattered with small rivers.
- During these 2 days, you will encounter many Mongolian families along path.
Day 8 / Day with a Nomad Family
- Day of rest and activities in the camp of a herding family.
- Discover nomadic life and participate to the family’s daily tasks: milking the goats, cows, catch calves, collecting combustible material for the fire, looking for water, preparing Mongolian tea and food.
Day 9 & 10 / Crossing of the Valley of Orkhon
- The trek continues in the heart of a region typical Mongolia. During 2 days.
- You will cross the renowned Valley of Orkhon at your own pace.
- The Valley of Orkhon is one of the most inhabited in Mongolia due to its fertile soils and gives many opportunities to observe sceneries of nomadic life. A
- Arrival on the 2nd day to Kharkhorum, the ancient capital of the Mongolian empire.
Day 11 / Kharkhorum – Khugnuu Khan Natural Park
- Morning visit of the Erden Zuu, Kharkhorum’s Buddhist monastery, and its 108 stupas.
- The rest of the journey is made in 4x4 and takes you to Khugnu Khan Natural Park, the tour’s last stop.
- Enjoy a camel trek in the surprising sand dunes of the Little Gobi.
Day 12 / Khugnuu Khan - Ulaanbaatar
- Final drive back to Ulaanbaatar and shopping in a cashmere factory.
- Farewell diner with your interpreter anddriver in a Mongolian restaurant.
Day 13 / Departure
- Transfer to the Airport.