15 days in Mongolia:
Starting from US$ 1 764 per person
Get an in-depth knowledge of the country shared by the locals, explore various landscapes and discover the Mongolian way of life. This 16-day trekking tour with Wind of Mongolia is a perfect combination of sports and culture.
Your detailed itinerary in Mongolia
Day 1 / Arrive in Mongolia
- Visit the main monastery of Ulaanbaatar, Gandan.
- Visit the natural history museum.
- Explore the streets of the capital and see yurts right in the city center.
- Lunch in town.
- Welcome dinner in a restaurant and overnight in the hotel.
Day 2 / Khatgal
- Domestic flight to Mörön.
- Afterwards you'll take a car ride towards Khatgal.
Khatgal is a small hamlet at the southern point of Khuvsgul lake. An ancient Russian colony, this village was once very prosperous thanks to its trade between Mongolia and Russia. The remains of the past persist in the outskirts of the village.
- Check in at Wind of Mongolia base camp.
- Overnight under the yurt.
Day 3 / Horseback riding
- One day rest in Khatgal, relaxing, walking around and discovering of the Mongolian lifestyle.
For the past 20 years, Khatgal has been losing its importance little by little, as well as a big part of its population. Its harbour remains active, but nowadays it has a touristic vocation.
- Enjoy a 3 to 4 hours horseback ride to discover the area.
- Evening at Wind of Mongolia’s base camp.
Day 4 / Trip towards Uran Dush
- In the morning start your journey towards Kharuul Zangi, then Khirvesteg and finally Uran Dush.
- We go through the Jankhay pass in order to reach Kharuul Zangi, a small promontory at the end of a large cove, then Khirvesteg and later on Uran Dush.
- Uran Dush is the end of the suitable track for car and rarely could vehicles travel further.
- Setting up of the bivouac.
- Evening on the banks of the lake.
Day 5 / First day of your trek
- This is your day to ''warm up'' and take your bearings.
- Picnic break in Khar Uus.
It's a small lake created by the waves and currents of the lake, a mineral rich source devers it’s water in this « magic » lake, which confers to it a particular power… especially as this small lake never freezes, even in the coldest of the winter…It is a mythical place for the locals.
- After, you will find a mystical place called Jigleeg.
Jigleeg is the only way between the massif, a deep gash in these wild mountains, sole access for the nomads between Khuvsgul and Tsagaan Nur, a large part of the nomads spend the winter on the banks of the lake and on the other side they spend the beautiful season in the vast green valleys.
- Setting up your bivouac near the wooden cabin of a fisherman’s family.
Day 6 / Jigleen
- Day to explore Jigleeg: Discover a beautiful first step that will open on gorgeous panoramas. The conditions in this region could be particularly tough, the pass could become very fast an icy wind corridor. Jigleeg opens also on the narrow valley in the heart of the massif, thus creating a micro-climate and an perfect passage for fauna. At the foot of the schist massif we find several zones of swamps, pine and larch forests. It is from Jigleeg onwards that is found the biggest density of permafrost in Mongolia. Lichens are abundant and in this zone we will still encounter the kind lichen reindeers enjoy, even if the Tsataans now hardly ever come in this area to graze their livestock.
Day 7 / Ikh Nor Gol River
- We will reach the highest part of massif, going upstream along the Ikh Nor Gol River. The valley goes deep in between two summits that culminate at 2500 and 2800m.
- Explore the forests, boulders, wild landscape before reaching the Arsain Sair small pass.
Day 8 / Hiking to the East
- The circuit goes the East, following the bed of a small dried up stream meandering between two large massifs, before reaching a wider valley carved out by Arsain river.
The landscape, the view become uninterrupted… the lake appears in front of you, between two large summits. In this area where the visitors are rare, lives a rich and varied fauna. An incursion inside a world where nature keeps all its rights.
- Bivouac with a view to the sea.
Day 9 / Trekking
- The itinerary follows the course of Arsain River, until under a large and gorgeous summit, completely flat, Uran Dosh, which means the anvil.
- From there, the track ascends along the Mongoliin Khast River.
- We continue to trek some hours aiming at the pyramidal summit, before setting up the bivouac at the heart of this mineral universe.
Day 10 / Ikh Uul
- Climbing towards the 2960m summit.
Stop on Ikh Uul. It is a longish climb, however largely compensated by an incredible view over the massif, the lake… a panoramic 360 view.
- After go down towards Yamaatyn River and reach the small valley of Baishintiin Door.
- Bivouac on the banks of the stream.
Day 11 / Khuren stream
- This trekking trip will lead you back towards the much softer part of the massif, the summits have gone down to 2300m, the valleys have been flattened and the landscape begins to be softer.
- Bivouac on the banks of Khuren stream.
Day 12 / Back to the lodge
- Last trekking day in the heart of Khorido Saridag.
- You will go down slowly in this valley in order to join an ancient track created during the soviet period for mining surveys.
- This is where our team will bring you back to the Lodge Wind of Mongolia.
- Overnight at the yurt or in the chalet.
Day 13 / Khatgal
- A day in Khatgal to relax after the trekking.
- If you want, you can have a last horse riding.
- Evening in the lodge.
Day 14 / Ulaanbaatar
- Way back to Mörön passing by Furgon.
- Lunch in Mörön.
- Transfer by plane towards the capital.
- Settling in the hotel and shopping in Ikh delguur to purchase few souvenirs.
- Dinner in downtown.
Day 15 / Departure
- Breakfast at the hotel.
- Transfer to the International airport of Ulaanbaatar.
- The transfer can be arranged at any time, depending on the schedule of your flight.